I love food that tastes great and at the same time does wonders for your body. Portabello mushrooms are one such superfood, they have fiber phytonutrients, fiber, and unlike other foods antioxidants are not destroyed by cooking. Therefore grilling them is an excellent idea, because Grilled Portobellas are heavenly. Pair them with other colorful veggies – grilled or raw in this salad, and you’ve got something to be happy about. Or just eat it as a burger or steak, after all Portobellas are the other dark meat.
I marinate the Portobello caps with a balsamic, honey, garlic and herb based marinade, then Grill it or roast it for this incredible colorful and tasty salad. The left over marinade can be used as a dressing.
- 4 large Portobello mushroom caps, wiped with moist paper towel, and with gills removed
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 cloves of garlic pressed
- 1 tablespoon of dried italian herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary, crushed red pepper) or tuscan herb blend Or about two tablespoons of chopped fresh herbs
- 1 teaspoon salt (you could add more, taste the marinade)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh crushed black pepper
- baby greens mix
- grape tomatoes
- roasted or fresh yellow pepper
- balsamic reduction
- Mix oil, vinegar honey, herbs, spices and garlic very well
- Brush the inside and outside of mushrooms with the marinade and grill on both sides until soft, brushing with the marinade.
- Slice the grilled mushroom caps and add to tossed salad, dress the salad with the left over marinade and balsamic reduction, to add tang.