Last week I picked up beautiful red and golden beets, roasted them as soon as I came home, and made the svekolnik (cold beet soup) from some of the red ones – the rest were waiting their turn in the refrigerator. This week we got hit head on with a monster heat wave – last night after work I walked out into the parking lot and the asphalt was melting, and so was I. Cooking, in this weather? No thanks, a salad for dinner would suffice. On my way home from work I mentally perused the contents of my refrigerator and pantry for good salad ingredients and came up with a roasted beet, goat cheese salad with pistachio & orange muscat champagne vinaigrette.
Roasting the beets preserves their beautiful color and enhances their flavor. My oldest son hates anything with beets, but enjoyed this salad, I don’t think he even realized it had beets in it actually. Goat cheese is very complimentary to beets, pistachios add crunch and the oranges and muscat grapes in the vinegar are tying all the flavors together in this vibrant summer salad. (if you can’t get this vinegar – a good substitute would be a white balsamic with a little orange juice)
- 2 medium red beets large dice, or sliced
- 2 medium golden beets large dice, or sliced
- 1/4 cup shelled roasted unsalted pistachios chopped
- 1/4 cup orange muscat champagne vinegar(or white balsamic vinegar + orange juice+1 tsn orange zest)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 4 cups mixed greens
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon honey(if you are using balsamic vinegar)
- To roast beets: Preheat the oven to 400 F, toss the beets with oil and a little salt, wrap beets in foil individualy and roast for 30- 40 minutes until soft. The skin will peel easily once the beets have cooled, can be done up to a few days ahead.
- Combine the vinegar, pistachios, honey(if using) and shallots in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place red and golden beets in separate bowls and toss with enough dressing to coat.
- Toss the mixed green with dressing in a separate bowl
- Mound the salad greens atop 4 plates, arange the beets and add goat cheese. Garnish with sprouts and pistachios.
It’s definitely that!
made it for my girlfriend last night – Thank you ! 🙂