Happy Tuesday my friends!
My mother-in-law made this salad for us on the fourth of July and everyone loved it. Theoretically it can be kept in the refrigerator for a week, but in my house its usually gone the minute I say that it’s ready. Adults like it as a side dish to grilled meat/fish, kids love it as a topping for burgers, and hot dogs, but anyway you eat it – it’s absolutely delicious and very pretty.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium bell peppers
- 1 “Vidalia” onion or a large yellow onion
- 1 – 2 medium carrots
- 3- 4 cloves garlic
- salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes or hot paprika, or chilli powder : – to taste (I used about 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes)
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 1/2 tablespoon more for saute
- 1/8 cup vinegar (apple cider, rice or white)
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs (optional, I like to add my herbs fresh when I serve the salad)
- Cut zucchini into rounds. Lay on a cutting board and sprinkle with salt. Let stay for about 20-30 minutes to release the liquid. Rinse, pat dry and place into a bowl.
- Cut carrot into a thin julienne or grate on a medium grater and add to zucchini.
- Cut bell pepper into strips, and onion into semicircles. (I cut all the vegetables with a mandolin to ensure a uniform thickness.)
- Heat the reserved oil in a pan and add peppers and onions. Saute for two minutes.
- Add the peppers and onions to zucchini.
- In a small sauce pan heat the 1/4 oil til hot but not steaming, take off the heat and immediately add vinegar and spices to oil, wisk briskly and pour into the vegetables. Mix the vegetables with the marinade and pack tightly into container.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.