In this braised dish my favorite winter flavors come together in a sweet and slightly sour symbiosis to make a cold snowy day brighter with color and taste.
Red cabbage lends a beautiful color and crunch, fiji apples add their unique sweet flavor and wonderful aroma, while onions, apple cider vinegar and honey mesh the flavor for a marriage made in heaven.
It’s perfect with roasted meat or poultry.
- 1 Red cabbage small head chopped into strips
- 1 Fiji or Gala apple cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion thinly sliced
- 3 tbsn apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsn honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsn salt
- 1/2 tsn freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsn oil
- In a dutch oven or heavy pan heat oil over meduim heat and add onions and apples, cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionaly
- In a cup mix apple cider vinegar with honey, salt , pepper and water
- Add cabbage to onions and apple, saute for about a minute and add the apple cider mixture. Stir together and cook until all the liquid evaporates.