This particular lamb kebob recipe is my father’s creation. About 5 years ago he came over and made these kebobs for us, and ever since it’s often on the menu for the BBQ.
The marinade – is not really a marinade, it doesn’t have much acid, the chopped and salted onions release their juices and tenderize the meat, the bay leaf tea, herbs and spices infuse the meat with flavor. I hope you enjoy these kebabs as much as we do.
- Boneless Leg of Lamb, trimmed from fat(do not trim all the fat, we need the fat to baste the meat ), sinews removed, cut into cubes,
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 2-3 large onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup fresh herbs; use any combination of the following, they are great with lamb; – parsley, dill, coriander, mint, purple basil
- Toasted whole coriander and cumin, about 1 teaspoon each
- red pepper flakes 1 teaspoon
- black pepper
- 2 large onions sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs, as in the brine
- 1 tablespoon red whine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- season the onions with salt and squeeze with your hands to release the juices
- Crush coriander, cumin and red pepper flakes, I used a mortar and pestle, you can use a coffee grinder or a rolling pin
- Add spices, chopped herbs to the onions and mix
- Add meat to the onion mixture, toss everything together cover tightly with plastic wrap
- Meanwhile make bay leaf tea. Place bay leaf in a cup, and pour boiling water over them, cover and let seep until the liquid is room temperature. Once the bay leaf tea is cool, pour it over the meat and onions, mix to distribute the liquid evenly and cover the meat with plastic again. Brine for 3-12 hours.
- Thread the meat onto the metal skewers and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Discard the onion brine. And grill the meat.
- Slice the onions thinly, and place the onions into a dutch oven, heavy pan, or “kazan”, add herbs and vinegar to the onion mixture.
- Place grilled kebabs into the pan toss with onions, cover the lid and put the pan on the grill for another about 5 minutes.
Thank you for a great recipe, my family loved these lamb kebabs.
Looking forward to more recipes from you.