I had a few cubes of roasted butternut squash left over from dinner and decided to treat my boys to a fall breakfast. They loved it, I loved it and wish I had made more for my husband and myself. It’s so fragrant, tasty, pretty and healthful. A meal that compliments the changing colors outsite.
-1/2 cup rolled oats
-1 1/4 cup boiling water
– 1/2 cup pureed roasted pumpkin or canned pumpkin puree
– 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice ( cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, allspice)
– pinch of salt
– 2 teaspoons good unsalted butter
– 1/8 cup golden raisins
– 1/8 cup quartered dry apricots
– 1/8 cup chopped nuts( I had almonds, pistachios and pecans)
– Real Maple Syrup for garnish( optional)
1. Place oatmeal into a saucepan, add boiling water and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
2. Add spices, salt, butter, pumpkin, fruit and nuts. Cook covered on low heat until oatmeal is soft, you might need to add more water.